Monday, October 11, 2010

This Week Was...

This past week was very enjoyable....when it ended. Working on the project with my group was amazing. I got to talk to people I usually don't talk to, and I got to know some of my classmates better. I felt that my group worked together exceptionally well. Whenever people had conflicts we found a way to work around them. I still was sort of stressed out about the presentation, the control freak that I am. I always obsess over what to say, and the fact that I was in the rebuttle section prevented me from knowing exactly what I would be saying. I was more than relieved when the projects were over. I feel like I did okay.

Also during that week I went to a meeting about the genocide in Darfur. The man who talked to us had been on the Sudan Freedom walk. The walk started from outside the UN in NewYork and Ended at the Whitehouse. The man, whose name is alluding me, was given to another family as a slave. When people think of slavery, they think of it as a figment of the past. He let us know that right now the ethnic tribes in Sudan were being enslaved. Another man's entire family was killed. It really hurt my heart to hear these things. All the people who spokeand walked told us that they did so inorder to inspire change. They did so inorder to show action when many other individuals were JUST talking. This session put the world in perspective for me. I am free todday but others are not. I am alive and have a family, but others do not. I have a government that protects me, not one that advocates and supports the killing of my people. I am greatful, but I feel sort of guilty. How many people really know what is going on in the world, in places like Sudan. What are people doing to help? Do people even care?

No comments:

Post a Comment