Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I Don't Even Know Where This Week Wendt

Our main academic endeavor this past week focused on the game of Risk.  As in true war, friends were made, alliances were broken, and strategy triumphed over emotions and ethics.  Interestingly enough, although the game was framed around a realist and liberal picture, members of the teams added a constructivist element by bringing their Letts identities with them.  I had to chuckle when Erin commented, "It's not personal, guys."  Yet, politics is not contained and un-biased.  It makes me wonder how world leaders form relationships.  To what extent are leaders "friends," and to what extent are they acting out of their own interests?  Can warring states be "friends" (i.e. "Oh, good job State B on destroying our resource centers.  That was very strategic!  Now, I'm going to target your population center, if that's okay")?

Why can't we be friends?
A nice break from all the work and planning (until it was over) was Family Weekend.  It was rather re-energizing to have the support and nice to see AU in the light of a Prosbie (what a sunny day walking around campus, instead of running to an 8:30 in the rain).

Yet, coupled with spring course selection, I was reminded of my future.  What a vast concept!  To a constructivist end, it seems like my goals change with the times.  To a realist point of view, I want to do something at which I excel.  To a liberal perspective, by doing what I love, I also want to help "human"-kind.  I guess SIS may be a good fit because its focus of study is the world (everything!)  Now, I realize why there are so many specializations/concentrations within the major.  One cannot master the whole world.

... Now, to somewhat connect this post to its catchy title, let's just go with Wendt's main theme of "Anarchy is what states make of it."  Out of a blank world that leans towards chaos, with our schedules, goals, relationships, and identities, anarchy is what we make of it.  Sort of like college...

No comments:

Post a Comment