Monday, October 4, 2010

soo..aparently I am a marganilized individual in world politics class

I didn't identify myself as a person without a voice in class. If I wanted to speak I would raise my hand and say something. When I got the blue lightsaber I asked myself, "Why is he giving me this?" I was sure other people should have it. There are people, that even in small groups, do not speak. I'm not shy, class discussions don't intimidte me into silence. I just like to speak when I have something to say that I think is really important to the discussion. Having the lightsaber didn't make me feel like I was imbued with some holy power to speak. I didn't need that. When I got the lightsaber, I did not feel like all of a sudden I was all powerful. I feel that at anytime I can put in my own opinions. So I ask, why did I get the lightsaber? Why did he say he was giving it to the bottom rungs, me and Rachel. This makes me wonder, does this happen to real people? Do groups see themselves as having a voice, feeling completely sure of their ability to speak, but the "authority" decides that you are a silent and marginalized population. In spanish class we are studying idiomatic expression using parts of the body. One that I feel is appropriate for this situation is, "En boca cerrada no entran moscas". This means silence is golden. In this situation, I take it as meaning silence is golden when you make the conscious choice not to speak. When the chance to speak is not denied you.

1 comment:

  1. I feel sort of the same way, at least in that other people are definitely quieter than we are, and I never felt particularly "marginalized". When I really wanted to say something, I said it. I don't like to talk in big groups though, and that probably affects how much I speak, so I have to really want to say something in order to say it.
    I can't think of a real-life situation in which a group that wasn't marginalized was treated like they were, but it could probably happen.

    ReplyDelete