Sunday, October 17, 2010

Of Operas and Risk

This past week was interesting, to say the least. Although going to the opera was not a new experience for me, it was very different in several ways. It was the first one I've seen in the US, the first one I've seen with surtitles, and the first one I've seen in a language that I actually understand (which was a really good thing, since I was sitting in the back row and apparently need stronger contacts - I couldn't read the words). It was fun though, if that's the right word. As everyone was getting ready, I wondered why we bother to get dressed up. For most of the time, everyone is sitting down in a dark room. No one's looking at anything but the stage. As much as I hate dressing up though, I realized that if no one did, it would be a completely different experience. Sure, there's no practical reason to wear anything other than jeans and a t-shirt, but doing so adds to the sophistication of it all. It's actually really necessary.

Playing Risk on Tuesday was amazing. Although there were some communication issues between the diplomats and the heads of state, it was really fun. Normal risk is fun. Diplomatic risk is awesome. It was so awesome that I continued negotiations with a few groups for about an hour after class had finished. Of course, this being just a game, everyone's willing to take more risks in terms of alliances and agreements, making the game move even further away from realism. I really enjoyed it, and can't wait to find out how the game continues on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment