Monday, September 20, 2010

State Department and Voting

This week we went to the State Department, and talked about liberalism and the issue of uninformed voting. I really our visit to the state department. After listening to the discussion with David Bame and looking at the papers in the folder that we got, I realized that there was a lot more to the department than I had previously thought. There are the diplomats, the environmental workers, a branch for arms control, for narcotics enforcement, for civil rights, and many more areas that I hadn’t really thought about. After hearing about everything, I think I would really like an internship there at some point - not this year, but maybe next year, or junior year. And it’s definitely a bonus that many of their internships are paid. 

I would reflect on our discussion from Friday, but I feel like there’s nothing more I could add that hasn’t already been said. I still stand by what I said in my post - that it is better to vote uninformed than not at all, assuming that “uninformed” does not mean completely clueless. It goes without saying that completely clueless people should not vote, and I think that most people if not everyone in the class agreed. 

All things considered, last week was a good week. I hope that this week will be equally as interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment