Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I cried tears for the starved Princess

The moment I walked into the Newseum I thought I was just in for a fun time. I was going to be a news caster for my own network. I was going to look at the Elvis exhibit and all the front pages for the day. I didn't think that I was going to cry. Upon entering the museum, one of my friends said we should see the Pulitzer Prize photos. I did not think anything of it until I began to make my way around the exhibit. Picture after picture depicted something that inspired various emotions in me. I saw things that I felt were morally wrong. I saw things that made me feel angry. I saw things that made me feel still. I kept coming back to this one photo of an Ethiopian woman and her daughter sitting in line waiting for food. They were regal and had the demeanor of queens, despite starvation. It made me flash forward in the life of the child and see the woman she might have been and flash backward and review the life of the woman that held the child. Then I got to the portion of the exhibit where there was a description of the photo taken. There I found out that the girl died waiting in the line for food. I learned that those in power in Ethiopia often kept aid from being delivered to their people because they hoped to starve out those who rebelled against them. But what did this princess do? This sort of made me curse the world I live in where power must be maintained by force and violence. Made me curse the world and made me want to create a new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment