Monday, September 27, 2010

In Alabama We Speak English

I was pretty much disgusted with the campaign video that we watched in class on friday. I literally thought that it was the parity of the real thing. I couldn't believe that someine really felt that way about the diversity we have in the United States. I know that in my community at home everyday I encounter a different ethnic group that has their own language. I love it.At anytime in my neighborhood at home you can hear spanish, an african dialect, arabic, or mandarin. It is a part of my neighborhoods culture. I can honestly say that no one in that neighborhood really resents the presence of these languages. Unlike in Alabama where this apparently is a big issue.( big enough that its a campaign platform)

This video and discussion in class got me thinking about our visit to the French Embassy. During the discussion with the French diplomat, I remember him saying that in French law there was no concept of the minority. A French man with African heritage is simply french. I thought for a long time and I came to the conclusion that I actually do not like that. He kept stressing integration to French society. Why can' t there just be acceptance. why can I not keep cultural practices from my families heritage? I feel like this policy sort of erases a piece of your heritage. I know American is not perfect and without discrimination, but I love the fact that you can hold on to your culture and still be an American. That's why I was soo shocked to see the campaign add speaking against that diversity.

2 comments:

  1. The conviction with which the candidate spoke about the necessity of speaking English in America was disturbing. There is a huge difference between encouraging people to learn English as they transition into American life and forcing them to relinquish all ties to their native land. The campaign video seemed to parallel with the latter situation and exhibit the belief that immigrants must become “American” if they are going to live here, language and all. Instead, I believe that participation in language learning programs should be encouraged (or required? Not sure…) for immigrants and non-English speaking residents to become familiar with the English language. I think it is important for immigrants to learn English not so that they can become Americanized (I am a huge supporter of diversity), but so that they can communicate wherever they travel within the states. When I travel to non English speaking countries, I believe it is my responsibility to become familiar with the language and culture of the country I am visiting. That is why my travels to Italy and Spanish speaking countries have been so rewarding; I am able to connect to the natives on a deeper level because of my knowledge of their language. Part of what prompted my studies in Mandarin was the frustration I experienced during my recent visit to China. At the time I didn’t know any Chinese and therefore couldn’t communicate with anyone, unless we relied on English. This doesn’t make sense. Why should I go to Asia and expect everyone there to learn English so that they can communicate with me? Instead it is in my interest to learn the language spoken in the area I am visiting so that I can engage in verbal communication. I would hope that others coming to the United States would be interested in learning English so that they can assimilate into American life without surrendering their cultural traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being interested and being forced are two different things. To say to a person in is in your best interest to learn the language and tell someone they must, is not the same. Yes, I agree it benifits the person overall but I think people should not be made to learn a language. If they want to comunicate more effectively with the natives of that country and feel that they should learn,it is their choice. You remark "Why would I go to asia and expect everyone to speak english so that they can communicate with me?" There is no expectation in america for americans to learn spanish to communicate with hispanics, or for them to learn arabic and any other language that one might speak. It is not an expectation because in America we do not make people speak english just like we do not make people perform certain religious practices. We accept diversity. Really they don't even need to learn english to assimilate into "American" society because as a country we are so diverse that it is made up of components from other cultural backgrounds. The campaign ad surprised me bc something so small , how many languages a test is given in, was such a bug issue. In Alabama we speak english, on a bigger scale sort of means in America we speak english.If a person is a naturalized citizen from mexico, china, ghana etc, and speaks no english, aren't they still american. In America we do not only speak english, that is about of America's identity and makes America different. I don't think language is the main thing determines wheter you have "assimilated" into American society; But rather upholding American ideals

    ReplyDelete