Monday, September 27, 2010

Reflections on Our National Identity






This video is really similar to the ones we saw in class. In theory, it’s supposed to display America’s national identity. Well, and advertise our country, of course. It shows a lot of what we supposedly pride ourselves on and consider uniquely ours - diversity, wonders of the world such as the grand canyon and the golden gate bridge, the endless rolling fields of grass that I feel like I’ve never actually seen, bears, and all that good stuff. I have to wonder though, is that really our identity? What we are generally proud of is usually not those things that can be displayed in promotional videos. Things like democracy and freedom. I mean, I get that the video is just advertising. But still. I feel like fields of grass is not necessarily what we should show. Especially because Europe has so much more of that than we do. 
And also, this video makes me wonder, why do refer to ourselves as “American”? Like, we’re from the U.S. America is more than that, and yet this video features lots of people saying “I am America” (which, on a side note, just reminds me of Stephen Colbert’s book "I am America and So Can You"). When we say “American” we mean “from the United States”. As if the rest of America just doesn’t count. Even the website that’s shown at the end of the video is “america.gov,” yet it links to a site exclusively about the U.S. government. 

In my experience, our national identity is very different from that of other countries. We seem to have a superiority complex that goes way beyond nationalism and patriotism. Maybe I'm wrong, but I definitely see that in us. We fell like we have an obligation to be the best, the most powerful, the protectors of the free world. We feel superior - I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing though.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you about this last part. We do have a superioty complex. We do think we're better. I also think that alot of other countries idolize the United States too. My question to you is what would happen if this was not a part of the U.S's identity. Do you think it would change the way we are regarded throughout the world..in a negative way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed this post, from its observations to its wit. I definitely agree about the fact that we identify with "things like democracy and freedom," but it must be difficult to display in advertising.... It cannot be shown by the Liberty Bell, eagle, or Constitution. Instead, it would have to be shown by our heart and dedication: our solidarity in 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, etc. Consequently, "the land of opportunity" theme is the easy way out. The images are expected and brighter.

    I found your video most interesting. Unlike the ones in class, there is no chance to show a separation of races. The individual says, "I am America." Yet, I do not think this is true. Although the individual and his/her ideas is crucial to a successful society, it is the collaboration and integration of those ideas which build America and give it an advantage in the future.

    ReplyDelete