Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Reality of Realism

I enjoyed Friday's discussion on realism, and while some people don't see the merits of that theory, I sympathize and almost agree with realists on the subject of international relations. True, realism does not cover every international issue - terrorism, humanitarian efforts, and many others - it is only a theory, after all. But there's something about the cold logic of it that I find appealing. Yes, it is pessimistic, but that does not make it wrong. Aspects to realism, such as the idea that you cannot rely on any other state, make sense. It's realistic - at least, in some contexts, it definitely is wise.

I also thought the spy museum this week was really awesome. I guess I find that sort of thing to be interesting - disguises, stealth, danger, national security and so on. I liked how the last thing you see in the museum before the gift shop was the room with the video on cyber security and "weapons of mass disruption" as they called it. It was like they were trying to scare you, make you realize that you're defenseless, and that the government's security efforts are all that is protecting you. You can't trust anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment