Thursday, November 18, 2010

which is more acceptable

Personally, I believe that neither of these are acceptable ways to represent the Native American people. Throughout the entire museum, I felt like everything was presented in a way to erase the devastation. The focus really wasn't on the history. I felt that the exhibits were more, "look at our pretty clothes and jewelry" and didn't really focus on the fact that many were massacred for their land, forced off. There was something lacking in the presentation. Unlike in the Holocaust museum, I was not moved by the tragic events, and I believe it due to the fact because that was not the focus. And then I realized after the fact that the name of the museum is "The National Museum of the American Indian." Columbus made a mistake in thinking this was India, and still they bear that name to identify them, "Indians".

The Red Skins, do I even need to say anymore. This is a stereotypical representation of the Native people. In cartoons, they are always people with red skin and a feather in their hair, prime example is peter pan. Then the fact that there is a Native American representing such an American pass time. Then it actually made me think., do any Native Americans play football? I just think there is something wrong with the ways in which these people are represented in our culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment