Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving

I spent a lot of time over break thinking about Thanksgiving and the lies that were told to the elementary and middle school students. What does your average student in highschool really know about Native Americans? It made me think hard about how we actually view native americans today. One of my friends said that she felt that she almost forgot that there were native americans still in America. I know stupid right, but it made me wonder, is it really her fault or is it socities fault. Is it because history books in school don't really get into native american culture in modern day times. It's almost like they are a forgotten group of people, glossed over in the things we learned in class but such an important part of history. when I went to the museum of the american indian, I felt that something was missing. Unlike some of my peers, I felt that the museum was more like an art museum. I felt like it was something generic to it. I took into great consideration, the fact that the museum is remembered most for the food court and not the displays themselves. All I took away was that they have great tamale and fish. It surely was not a holocaust museum, even though many Native Americans were killed in early America.

No comments:

Post a Comment