Thursday, November 4, 2010

Afghanistan

Does the fact that the United States has troops deployed in Afghanistan at the present time make you more or less secure?
I don't know a lot about the subject. But if you define security broadly, as, for example, in the 2010 National Security Strategy, then I would say that having troops in Afghanistan makes us less secure than otherwise - for one main reason. If the definition of national security includes having a prosperous (or at least reasonable) economy, then the war in Afghanistan is hurting us rather than helping to keep our country secure. Our maintained presence there is pouring a lot of money into defense, when that money could be better spent improving the economy. I understand the reasons we are at war, but I think that we've been there too long. Are we really still protecting ourselves by being there? (I guess that's the question I'm supposed to be answering...) I don't really think so. In the narrow sense of national security, I do actually feel safer knowing that there are troops there. Maybe it's because of the fear that spread post-9/11, but knowing that there are soldiers there, and that our presence could be, in some way, scaring terrorists from attacking again, makes me feel safer. 
That being said, I think we need to get out of there. Until we leave, we can't be certain that it's helping us in terms of physical security. In terms of economic security, it is definitely not helping us. I would feel much more financially secure if I knew that there wasn't a good percent of the budget being poured into defense. If we withdraw from Afghanistan, and then we get attacked again, then maybe I'll believe it was a good thing to be there. But as it is, I would prefer if this war would end. 

1 comment:

  1. Although I do agree with your point that our presence in Afghanistan is likely deterring the increase in frequency of terrorist attacks, I disagree with your claim that the resulting increase in defense spending hurts our economy. If anything, the increase in defense spending is increasing economic growth in the United States. Look at World Wars One and Two, and the economic boom that occurred in the United States as a result. When the United States increases defense spending it invests the money in domestic production of military equipment, putting money back into the economy and creating jobs for Americans. Therefore, the increased defense spending both increases our defense against security threats from abroad and from the economy.

    ReplyDelete